Saturday, December 21, 2013

Re-purpose, Re-start

A few years ago, my mom and I talked about re-covering pillows with some old Christmas sweaters.  This past autumn, she gave me sweaters and old pillows and sent me to work. Although I have seen some ideas for this type of project over the years, I decided to create it as I went. I do this sometimes when I'm cooking, baking, or sewing. (Or various other tasks.) It gives me a sense of freedom and adventure. Utilizing this method is also kind of like a game. "Sometimes, you win; sometimes you don't. That's what makes it a good game!" (Sinbad, Afros and Bell-bottoms)

Kitty must inspect the sweater before the project begins.

Only the bottom left to sew!


There are other times in life, though, when creating and re-purposing are not a choice. I mentioned before that my husband was previously a paid ministry man, and that our family has recently made several changes--a move, a new job (not in ministry), and a new beginning in college for my husband. And we are not college-aged.

I won't lie; sometimes I get frustrated because I feel like we keep having to re-start and re-create our lives. I look around at other people our age who have steady incomes, children, a house, and all kinds of things that we do not have.

But you have to be careful with your line of thinking. The thing is, like my mom's sweater pillow that I created on my own, God's plan for your life is not fashioned after the same plan as someone else's life. God is not "winging it," but His plan for everyone, like my plan for my pillow, is unique. The end result may be similar or even the same, but the how-to is very different.

This is why the Bible says:
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. (2 Cor.10:12)
So, again, we need to, as Paul admonishes us, glory in the Lord (v. 17). And "bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (v. 5). That includes making comparisons of our lives with other people's. That includes being frustrated by our current season of "waiting" for things that we thought we would have had long ago. We need to be obedient to God no matter where we find ourselves in life.

And if you find yourself, like us, waiting for the next step or waiting for something you desperately want, talk to God about it.
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord. (Ps. 27:14)
I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas season.