Saturday, August 9, 2014

What a Peach!

Yes, yes. I've been MIA for a little while. The canning season has gotten crazy busy in the last couple of weeks, plus we've had Red Beard's birthday, a visit from his mother (who lives out of state), Red Beard's final exams for summer classes, a yard sale, a major purge/re-vamp of the living room and kitchen, and a broken-down truck.

Somewhere in the midst of all this zaniness, too, my camera died. I didn't drop it or submerge it or anything. I just turned it on one day, and the screen went white. LOL!

Even as I type this, I am not angry or super upset about the camera. Things break, and that's part of life! While it does mean that I will have to use more creative methods to share things on my blog until I get a new camera, there are much worse things that can go wrong in life. Amen?

Anyhoo, I first wanted to share the links for the recipes I've canned this year so far. They have all turned out fantastic!

I've made: 
Kosher Dill Pickles (I used dill SEEDS), 
and--I'll share it again because it's so simple--Freezer Tomatoes.

Then there's today's bounty mentioned in the title: PEACHES!

I think that out of everything we can year-to-year, peaches end up being my favorite because in the midst of dreary winter weather, preserved peaches give me a taste of summer and a taste of happiness--knowing warmer days are on the way!

Here's the "BEFORE" photo of this year's peaches:


These are some of the prettiest (and juiciest) peaches we've ever had to can! And for some reason, I didn't think the yield on these babies would be so high.

Using a little under a peck (because a few were consumed prior to today), we ended up with 9 pints of sliced peaches (canned in 100% apple juice, instead of syrup)...
Yes, this is only 7 cans. 2 are in the fridge because we're going to use them for breakfast shakes tomorrow through Tuesday.
...AND a peach cobbler that I'm going to freeze (sorry, no link on this one!)...
This will be a welcomed treat in October or November!
...AND a loaf of peach bread for breakfasts later this week.

This quick bread recipe is one I based loosely on a recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens: New Cookbook. I found the recipe online so you could see the original.

If you want to make this peach bread, though, here's what to do:
PEACH QUICK BREAD: Combine 1 cup of wheat flour, 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1 Tablespoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Make a well in the center. 
In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of apple juice, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Pour in the center of the well and mix. Once most of the flour is incorporated, mix in 1 cup of peach slices (loosely packed). 
Pour the batter into a greased 8x4 loaf pan, and bake at 350-deg. for 45-55 minutes. Cool in pan for a few minutes, then finish cooling on a rack.

Our shelves (and our freezer) are quickly filling up... Praise God for the blessings of a garden, generous farmer friends, and the provision of food for the winter!

I hope you're enjoying the sunny days of summer.

Love,
--Mrs. D.