Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Straight Pull

Have you ever gone to a state fair or a farming expo? Red Beard and I went to one about 2 years ago, where we saw a Draft Horse pull for the first time.

For those of you who don't know, in a Draft Horse pull, teams of horses pull a weighted sled (they take turns, it's not a race!). The team that pulls the most weight wins. It is impressive how much weight these teams can pull--I believe they pull up to 5,000 pounds (2.5 tons)!

You can read more about pulling here.
Used with permission from Wikimedia commons
What does horse pulling have to do with anything? Well, I'll tell you.

On Sunday morning, our pastor discussed guilt. I'm not going to talk about guilt today, but I am going to use a verse that came up in his sermon: Matthew 11:28-30.
Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Now, think about the yoking together pictured in these verses--if we are saved, we are yoked together with God. Meaning, God is now teaming up with us to help us pull our load.

That fact in itself is pretty amazing (and I camped out there in my mind on Sunday for a bit), but let's take this a step further.

What happens if two horses are yoked together, but they aren't of similar size or ability? For example, what would happen if you yoked together

a Draft Horse 
Used with permission from Wikimedia commons

with a Shetland Pony
Used with permission from Wikimedia commons

Because one equine is obviously stronger than the other, the team would not be able to pull in a straight line. They would travel in a circle.

So how can we be yoked up with God considering He is WAY stronger and mightier than we are? How can we be yoked with God and not spin in circles?

We have to use His strength and might for our half of the pull.
>>If we try to minister to other people in our own strength and not in His, we won't make any headway. We'll be spinning in circles. 
>>If we try to figure out a way to "better ourselves" (e.g. get in shape) and don't let God dictate the parameters, we'll be spinning in circles.
>>If we try to "pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps" in difficult situations (e.g. job loss, bereavement), we'll be spinning in circles.
Even if we show signs of progress (physical, financial, etc.), we will be off-kilter and spinning spiritually because we didn't let God lead. We didn't let Him do it. We didn't do it in His strength.

I am saying this to you as much as I am saying it to myself. A few weeks ago, I mentioned that Red Beard and I are in a state of waiting. If I try to force a change in our situation, I am not allowing God to have control of the situation. I am not trusting His timing. I am spinning in circles.

Are you waiting for something to change in your life? Maybe you're working on losing weight, maybe you're working on getting a promotion at work, or maybe you're waiting to meet the man God wants you to marry.

If you find yourself stressed out over the thing that you are waiting for, you need to (and I need to) let God pull your half of the yoke.

We need to, as the verses above say, come to Him for spiritual and mental rest. We need to learn our Bibles and focus on Him. We need to practice meekness and humility.

If you're waiting for a change, that doesn't mean God is punishing you. It just means you need to wait for His timing. Our souls will not find rest until we yoke up with God and use His strength. Then our waiting and our burdens will be easy and light.

I pray you have a straight pull.
--Mrs. D.