Saturday, March 22, 2014

Once in a Lifetime Dishes

Over the years, I have cooked and baked some amazingly tasty things; however, since I seldom pause to jot down the "how-to" of my creations, we have not been afforded the joy of eating them a second time. I fancy calling these culinary oeuvres "Once in a Lifetime Dishes" because such a title makes them sound special, much in the same way that an inside joke is special to the people that shared in the experience.

But really, this business of forgetting to write down a new recipe is one of the quirks of my personality that drives my husband a little bit crazy. He has learned over the years to say these three words: "Write it down."

Last night's dinner was one of those kinds of meals. In my attempts to use up some leftovers (and be a good steward of the food God has provided us with), I put some twists on dishes that are not strangers to our household. For your convenience and the sanity of my loving husband, I have typed up what I did.

The leftovers to be used:
-half a head of green leaf lettuce
-a handful of sweet potato fries
-four carrots
-a boiled, bone-in chicken breast
. . . . . . . . . . . .


Carrot and Sweet Potato Biscuits
These may sound weird, but they were really good. This is a modified recipe from an out-of-print cookbook that belonged to my grandmother.

You need:
1/2 cup cooked, pureed carrots 
1/2 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup flour
1 Tablespoon of coconut butter, melted
1 Tablespoon of raw/turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (or more or less)
milk of choice (I've used whole, 2%, almond, or coconut before)

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray or grease a baking sheet. Mix together the carrots, sweet potatoes, and coconut butter. Stir in the rest of the ingredients--except the milk! If the batter is too thick or dry, add milk about a tablespoon at a time. Using a soup-sized spoon, drop the batter, in little mounds, onto the greased baking sheet (I usually get about 10 biscuits out of this recipe). Bake for 18-22 minutes. Serve with butter and honey (or eat them plain).

We ate five and froze five. Thought you'd like to see. They have the same kind of shape as the Garlic-cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster. You can form them into prettier shapes, but it's not necessary when they taste good. :)

Apple-Onion Chicken Salad-Salad
I know the apple and onion combination may sound bizarre to some folks, but trust me--this is good!

You need:
1 apple, diced (I used a Gala apple yesterday)
1/2 lemon (for the zest and juice)
2 green onions, chopped (green parts only)
meat from 1 boiled, bone-in chicken breast, shredded
1 single-serving plain Greek yogurt (Chobani or Stoneyfield)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 head of your favorite lettuce, chopped

Squeeze the lemon juice over the diced apple in a bowl. Add the zest of the lemon, the chopped green onions, chicken, and yogurt, and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy over your salad greens. Serves 2-3 (depending on how hungry you are). We each ate a salad, and I ate the leftovers for lunch today (pictured at the top of this post).

This was a great Spring-time meal. It tasted light and fresh, and I was able to use things we had on hand. By the way, the chicken salad would be "over the top" with a sprinkling of almonds, pecans, or walnuts! Just thought you should know. :)

Happy Spring!
    --Mrs. D.

P.S. An update on Sir Robert Anderson is coming soon!
P.P.S. Don't forget to check back in for "Make It Yourself Mondays" when I show you some t-shirt upgrades you might want to try for your own wardrobe. See you then!